Crustless Cheese Quiche
2011 Bypass Surgery Diet Information
Crustless Cheese Quiche
Patients who have undergone bariatric surgery need to consume a high protein diet. This is because the human body requires protein to repair damages tissue and to help in the healing process. However, the body cannot store protein so an individual will need to constantly supply the body with protein through high protein meals. An excellent post bariatric surgery meal is the crustless cheese quiche. The crustless cheese quiche is an awesome meal because it packs loads of protein with limited amounts of carbohydrates. Making the cheese quiche crustless ensure that carbohydrates are kept to a minimum.
The crustless cheese quiche is relatively easy to make and does not have a very long preparation time. The ingredients you will need are:
1. A cup of skimmed milk or fat reduced milk
2. Shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
3. Shredded parmesan cheese – Our crustless cheese quiche calls for two types of cheese. This is simply because mozzarella is very lightly flavored and you will need a stronger flavored cheese for contrast. You can substitute the parmesan cheese with another type of cheese you prefer such as fat reduced Swiss cheese.
4. 6 whole eggs – You can vary the amount of eggs by opting to use 3 whole eggs and 3 egg whites instead.
5. Cubed chicken breast – This ingredient is optional. You can vary the recipe by using shredded ham instead of chicken.
6. Whole grain wheat flour – This is also an optional ingredient. If you choose to add cubed chicken breasts or shredded ham to your quiche, you can opt to leave out the wheat flour. However, you can use both.
7. Cooked vegetables – This is also optional. You can use whatever cooked vegetables you have such as onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, green or yellow pepper, carrots and zucchini.
8. Salt and pepper
9. Other spices – You can add any spices that you desire to season your crustless cheese quiche. Good examples include oregano, celery seed, basil and thyme.
You should pre-heat the oven to 375. Use a non-stick olive oil cooking spray to spray the pie plate or pan. Put the cubed chicken breast or shredded ham and the fat reduced Swiss cheese. Spread the cooked vegetables on top. Layer the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle your spices on top of this layer. You should have whipped the eggs and skimmed milk in a bowl. Pour this mixture over the cheese, chicken and vegetables. Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is a light brown.
You can eat the crustless cheese quiche warm or cold. You will find it is not only good for you but taste great as well.